Sunday, February 9, 2014

An another Awakening


There are many things kept in his world as mysteries, but not all of those things must be hidden inside the clandestine, there are still many things we need to know.
Attending the forum entitled “A Forum on Peasant’s Rights and Continuous Struggle for Genuine Agrarian Reform” in commemoration of the 27th anniversary of the Mendiola Massacre is a real eye-opener.
The talk made by Cong. Carlos Isagani T. Zarate of Bayan Muna Party list awakened me from a deep slumber on how our peasants, who’s offering their sweat and even blood to have our rice ready to be eaten on our dining tables, suffer from serious human rights violation and abuse from the current government.
The bulging numerals laid on us are unambiguous evidence on how our peasants endure the calvary under the regime of Aquino, whose clan is known for the infamous repression of farmers in Hacienda Luisita.
I confessed that I had been stubbornly blind with the still existing oppression in spite of the “tuwid na daan” slogan imposed by the current administration.
Landlessness, minimal wage, huge payment to government and landlords for compensation, land conversion by foreign businessmen, death warrants which includes; massacre, extrajudicial killings, enforced disappearances, arrests and fabricated charges, neutralization and impunity. These are just some of the abused done by the government to farmers especially those who fight for equal rights.
I never thought that these systems are still occurring. I never thought that the straight path is not really upright. I never thought that in this age where people clamors for peace and equality, where corruption is in the limelight because of public outrage, where every thing seems to be all right. These things are still taking place. I am misled.

I thank purposively the PUP College of Law for the said affair and as I trek the path of being a journalist, I will bear in my mind the things that was imbibed to me, to not to be mislead by pretty word plays and superfluous language but to be inquisitive and skeptical on every facts that will be fed to me.

No comments: